David Wright Immigration Law

I wish to study at a US university; what are my options?

Many people are drawn to the United States to pursue their learning goals in English, or to obtain an advanced professional degree. Communities across the country provide low-cost or free English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. For those seeking higher degrees – a BA (Bachelor of Arts), BS (Bachelor of Science), Master’s, or PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) – US universities are renowned for providing world-class instruction and facilities.

To study in the United States, you need to obtain a student visa. The application process can be complicated and requirements vary depending upon your country of origin, personal and travel history, and educational aspirations. Typically, you can stay in the United States for the “duration of your status” – this means as long as you continue to study full-time and make progress. Exceptions come into play when some programs have a fixed, limited time period. If you wish to work during the course of your studies, we can help you figure out what to do, since the general rule is that you cannot work, except on campus. But exceptions also apply here, for example, when work is required for your major (Curricular Practical Training); when you get special permission (Economic Hardship); and when you are at the end of a degree program (Optional Practical Training).

Please contact us if you are interested in learning all about the options that are currently available to you, as well as the opportunities available to you after your studies. We can help you through the entire process.